Following the loss to Cruzeiro, Flamengo head coach Leonardo Jardim addressed the topic of new signings, emphasizing the value of the current Rubro-Negro squad and the search for internal solutions.
Flamengo‘s recent 2-1 loss to Cruzeiro in the 24th round of the Brazilian Serie A has reignited debates regarding the need for new signings at the Rio de Janeiro club. In a post-match press conference, head coach Leonardo Jardim was asked about potential reinforcements, but chose to focus on the capabilities of his current team.
The Portuguese manager highlighted that the existing group of players formed the foundation for Flamengo‘s major titles in recent years and stressed the importance of finding solutions with the athletes already integrated into the project. Jardim‘s remarks signal internal confidence in the potential of the Rubro-Negro squad, despite the recent results.
Post-Match Analysis and the Coach’s Position
Following the setback in the Brazilian Serie A, Leonardo Jardim expressed the importance of optimizing performance with the resources the club already has. The manager’s statement points to internal management that seeks to fully utilize the available talent before turning to the transfer market. The M360 team reported that this stance is intended to avoid undervaluing current players.
Leonardo Jardim stated:
The important thing is that we find solutions and work with those who are available. I won’t talk about the transfer market because when you talk about it, it seems to devalue our players, but they are the foundation of Flamengo’s titles in recent years and certainly will be the base for years to come as well. The people in charge are looking (for players in the market) and will surely make the best decisions.
Transfer Market History
Flamengo has had a recent history of unsuccessful attempts in the transfer market. At the start of the window, Argentine Thiago Almada was the primary target, with the Rio club reaching advanced negotiations. However, the player ended up transferring to River Plate.
Subsequently, director of football José Boto explored the possibility of signing forward Luiz Henrique from Zenit. However, those talks did not advance significantly, mainly due to financial issues, reinforcing the challenges of strengthening the roster with high-profile names.
Previous Requests for Reinforcements
During the pre-season training camp held in Portugal in July 2026, Leonardo Jardim had expressed a desire for a midfielder and a winger to expand the squad‘s rotation options. The coach emphasized the search for players who would raise the team’s quality and possess superior physical capacity to inject energy into the team, with an eye on both the present and the future.
Jardim said:
We have two or three important guidelines. The first is to bring in players who are better than what we have here. There is no point in changing just for the sake of it. And we always have the concern of bringing in young players—not necessarily 18-year-olds, but those who have a different physical capacity to have energy in the team. For the present and the future. I said that our attacking midfield and one more winger would be interesting.
Earlier in the year, the club prioritized signing a center-forward to play alongside or replace Pedro. Kaio Jorge‘s name was widely floated, but negotiations with Cruzeiro were unsuccessful, leading Flamengo to give up on that specific player profile for the position.
Brazilian Serie A Landscape
With the recent defeat, Flamengo remains in second place in the Brazilian Serie A with 45 points. The team is behind Palmeiras, which has played the same number of matches but will still take the field this Sunday (23) against Vasco da Gama, with the potential to extend their lead.
The situation at the top of the table requires total focus from Flamengo and an effective strategy for the upcoming rounds. The search for internal solutions, as advocated by Jardim, will be crucial to keeping the team in the title race.
Next Match and Absences
Flamengo‘s next challenge is this weekend, when they face Botafogo at the Maracanã. For this important clash, the Rubro-Negro will have a significant absence: forward Bruno Henrique will be out due to an accumulation of yellow cards, requiring Jardim to find a tactical alternative to cover his absence.
Leonardo Jardim‘s stance of valuing the squad and seeking internal solutions reflects the technical staff’s confidence in the ability of current players. At a crucial moment in the Brazilian Serie A, where every point is vital, Flamengo is betting on unity and teamwork to remain in the title fight, regardless of transfer market movements. The challenge now is to turn this confidence into consistent results on the pitch.








